- What is the purpose of the COBISS/SciMet portal? Answer
The COBISS/SciMet portal is intended for monitoring scientific production by Slovenian authors. It includes data on publications by Slovenian authors from various information resources and databases, which are aggregated, processed and can be viewed, using scientometric methods , e.g. Web of Science (WoS), Scopus, COBISS, SICRIS, COBIB.SI, CONOR.SI, SNIP and JCR. Portal enables easy and quick searching, viewing, analysing and processing of data on publications of Slovene authors, which were published in publications, indexed by the WoS or the Scopus database, for the users who need this information and data (e.g. researchers or research groups in the field of bibliometrics, citation analysis, evaluation of Slovene research publishing, etc.).
- How does the COBISS/SciMet work? Answer
Links between bibliographic records for publications in the WoS or Scopus databases and corresponding bibliographic records in the COBIB.SI shared database are established automatically weekly. Once established, links are saved within the portal, which means that when displaying data from the WoS or Scopus system, you do not have to perform online search for each bibliographic unit in these systems or search for pair records. For linked bibliographic units, citation data is also updated.
On the basis of links and citation data on individual bibliographic units, summary data is prepared daily. It is possible to prepare online displays of citation data (TC – number of citations, AC – number of self-citations, CI – number of pure citations, CiAu - number of pure citations per author) using the web form, direct links ali web services.
- What entities are included in the COBISS/SciMet? Answer
The portal contains:
- entities registered in the SICRIS system (researchers, groups of researchers, current projects and programmes, research organizations),
- authors with registration code assigned by IZUM,
- authors with identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database,
- publications linked to the WoS or Scopus database,
- serials indexed in the WoS or Scopus databases,
- Slovene universities with registration code:
- UNI-001 – University of Ljubljana
- UNI-002 – University of Maribor
- UNI-003 – University of Nova Gorica
- UNI-004 – University of Primorska
- What is the difference between the data in the COBISS/SciMet and the data in system SICRIS? Answer
In contrast to data in system SICRIS, the COBISS/SciMet contains data from WoS and Scopus also for authors provided with the registration code by IZUM, or with the identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, for Slovene universities and for serials or publications from COBISS system, regardless of publication typology, time slot or other restrictions in tenders. Different from the SICRIS system, self-citations are determined based on the WoS or Scopus databases.
- What is the difference between the data in the WoS databases and the data in the Scopus database? Answer
- What data from databases JCR and SNIP is displayed? Answer
From the JCR or SNIP database, data on categories (fields of research) are displayed on the basis of the publication year, quartiles of the IF distribution the journals occupy for a scientific field and the data on above-average scientific excellence in the last 5 years are displayed from The list of foreign databases.
- Which author identifiers are automatically included in COBISS/SciMet? Answer
authority database with the profiles in
- What are altmetrics? Answer
Altmetrics, as a non-traditional method of measuring impact, can supplement classical measuring methods, e.g. the number of citations and h-index. It include the impact and reach of research on the Internet and anabled automated updating of new mentions and events. It includes data from social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Google+, etc.), blogs, public access documents, news portals, journals, reference tools (Mendeley, etc.) and other information resources, e. g. Wikipedia, Youtube, Reddit, etc. For publications with DOI identifier, the open access visibility display (attention score) provided by the
- What are the basic conditions for citations from the Web of Science (WoS) and Scopus databases to appear in the reports? Answer
For the citations to be displayed, the following basic conditions must be met:
- the cited publication must be in the COBIB.SI shared bibliographic database (i.e. in the author's personal bibliography);
- for the cited publication, there must be a link between its bibliographic record in COBIB.SI and its record in WoS or Scopus;
- both publications, the citing one and the cited one, must have a 'full record' either in WoS or in Scopus databases.
- What does it mean if a publication has a 'full record'? Answer
A publication has a 'full record' in WoS or Scopus if it is included, along with its typical information (title, author(s), journal, year, etc.), in one of the WoS (Web of Science Core Collection) or Scopus databases and if it can be found in these databases on the basis of this data. The condition for this is that such a publication is published in the journal that is indexed by one of the WoS or Scopus databases.
- How do you define the number of pure citations? Answer
The number of pure citations is the number of citations without self-citations; the number of pure citations per author is the number of pure citations divided by the number of authors of the publication (N) in WoS or Scopus system or. by the number 10 * log(N) for N > 10 (see Defining citations).
- How is h-index determined? Answer
Within the COBISS/SciMet portal, the h-index represents the number of publications that were cited at least h-times, whereby the self-citations are not taken into account, in contrast to h-index in the WoS and Scopus system, where the h-index is calculated on the basis of all citations.
For particular entities (researchers, groups of researchers, current project or programme, research organization, author with a registered code or identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, Slovene university or serial), the h-index is calculated on the basis of ordered list of linked and cited publications in the selected citation period and publication period and on the basis of selected bibliographic items by typology (Display parameters).
- How often is the data in the COBISS/SciMet updated? Answer
- What comparisons of data are made within the portal? Answer
Within the portal comparison of citation rates of publications by Sloveniana researchers in WoS and Scopus databases from 1996 to 2011 by scientific discipline and comparison of cooperation of authors publishing in different fields of research according to the classification of ARRS are made.
- What summary data is gatherd within the portal? Answer
For entities registered in the SICRIS system (researchers, groups of researchers, current projects and programmes, research organizations) for authors with the registration number or with the identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, for Slovene universities, and for publications and serials, which contain publications linked to the WoS or Scopus database, summary data is prepared daily:
- by a year of publication,
- by a year of citation of publications (regardless of the year of publication – the statistics can also contain a publication older than the starting year of citation, if it was cited from that year onwards),
- with links only with one database (e.g. list of researchers in the Scopus database, without links to records in the WoS databases, or vice versa, list of researchers in the WoS databases, without links to records in the Scopus database),
- with a difference in the number of citations in the Scopus or WoS database for more than 20% from the smaller number of citations,
- by scientific discipline (made on the basis of the scientific discipline of the publication in the COBISS system evident from the UDC number - Universal Decimal Classification),
- for linked publications with citations (publication has at least one citation in the WoS or Scopus database),
- for linked publications without citations (publication has no citation, not in the WoS databases, nor in the Scopus database).
The lowest year of publication contained in statistics is 1970. In statistics by a year of publication, only citations from the starting year of publication are taken into account while citations of publicationns published before this year are not.
Lists of 100 most frequently cited researchers and other Slovenian authors as well as research groups, projects, programmes, research organisations and Slovenian universities are created daily. The lists are sorted by the number of pure citations in Scopus/ WoS over the past ten years (regardless of the publication year).
- by a year of publication,
- In what formats is summary data prepared? Answer
Statistics and lists are prepared in formats HTML, XML and TXT, and with data suitable for further analysis and processing. Along with links to files with statistics and lists, informative sizes of these are displayed. To make data processing easier, lines are multiplied for authors in some lists of linked publications in the TXT format.
It takes a bit longer for large files, containing summary data, to appear in a browser. It is recommended to first save such files on a local computer.
- What types of display can be prepared within the portal? Answer
For entities registered in the SICRIS system (researchers, groups of researchers, current projects and programmes, research organizations) for authors with the registration number or with the identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, for Slovene universities and for serials and publications from COBISS system, it is possible to prepare online displays of citation data (TC – number of citations, AC – number of self-citations, CI – number of pure citations, CIAu - number of pure citations per author, number of linked publications and h-index) using the web form, direct links ali web services.
The report can be created for several entities, registered in the SICRIS system, for several authors with registration codes, or for several serials or publications from COBISS system at once. The report will be created for the deduplicated set of all bibliographic units of all those entities, authors, serials and publications from COBISS system. From this set, it is also possible to exclude bibliographic units of one or more entities, registered in the SICRIS system, universities, authors with registration codes or seriars and publications from COBISS system:
- citation data display with the number of cited publications and the average number of pure citations by year of citation,
- citation data display with the number of linked publications and the average number of pure citations per linked publication by publication year,
- graphic display by year of citation and/or publication year,
- citation data display with the number of linked publications and the average number of pure citations per linked publication by journal that includes these publications,
- bibliography with h-index and, as an option, with the number of cited publications by year of citation for a publication (citations by year), and with the list of authors' codes and codes of groups of authors from the SICRIS system or from the universities that authors of a publication belong to (co-authorship).
The display is made in the HTML format (up to 3.000 records in the bibliography), which includes link to the display in the PDF format (with no graphs, maximum 1.000 records in the bibliography or maximum 500 records in case of the display of the number of citations by year for a bibliographic unit), to the display in the TXT format and the JSON format, and to the display in the XML format according to the schema http://home.izum.si/COBISS/xml/Citations.html.
- How to search for entity codes? Answer
- What records can be selected to prepare a display? Answer
Before preparing displays you can select records by typology:
- scientific publications with typology 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.06, 1.07 or 1.08,
- all categorized publications,
- publications with selected typologies,
- all publications for which a link between the records in the COBIB.SI database and the records in the WoS or Scopus database is established.
The displays will include all publications published in the input time period (from to) for publication years and cited in the input time period (from to) for years of citation. The oldest publication year is 1970. By selecting relevant publication time period and time period of citations, citations can be displayed, obtained within the relevant time period within the publication time period or outside it.
- What parameters can be selected before preparing a display? Answer
Based on different display parameters, you can define the contents and appearance of different displays, which include citation data in WoS and Scopus databases for researchers, groups of researchers, projects, programmes and research organizations, registered within the SICRIS system, for authors with a researcher's code, assigned by IZUM, or with the identification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, for Slovene universities and for serials or publications from COBISS system (see Display parameters).
- How can a direct link to the display of citation data be established? Answer
- Is access to citation data via web services possible? Answer
To access citation data in the WoS and Scopus databases for researchers, groups of researchers, projects, programmes and research organizations, registered in the SICRIS system, for authors with the registration code assigned by IZUM, or with theidentification number of author from the CONOR.SI authority database, for Slovene universities and for serials, a web service for collecting and displaying citation data is provided in the TXT format, the JSON format or in the XML format according to the scheme http://home.izum.si/COBISS/xml/Citations.html. Access from one IP address is restricted to 1 request per second.
The URL address of the service is http://scimet.izum.si/cit/ws?xml for XML format, http://scimet.izum.si/cit/ws?txt for TXT format, http://scimet.izum.si/cit/ws?json for JSON format or http://scimet.izum.si/cit/sum?, into which you can enter parameters.
- How do we create a widget for citation data? Answer
- What is the reason that the publication has fewer citations in the display than in WoS and/or Scopus? Answer
- Who do I need to notify if the record for my publication in COBIB.SI has not yet been linked automatically to the corresponding record in WoS or Scopus? Answer
- Some data on publications/citations/references in WoS or Scopus are wrong. Where do I send a request for correction? Answer
If in doubt, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will forward your request to the appropriate service.